If you were asking how to reset ps4 without controller? To reset your PS4, grab an external keyboard or mouse and plug it in. Go to “Settings,” pick “Initialization,” and hit “Initialize PS4” to start the reset. Or, go remote by using the PS4 app on your phone connected to your console. Factory reset, no controller needed!
When to Do Factory Reset PS4?
A Factory Reset of a PS4 is recommended when troubleshooting major system issues, selling/giving away the console, or preparing it for a fresh start. A Factory Reset might be necessary if the system experiences frequent crashes, performance degradation, or software glitches that can’t be resolved through regular troubleshooting steps.
Before selling the console, performing a reset ensures your data is erased. If you want to clear all settings and save data, a Factory Reset is an option. Remember to back up important data before proceeding with the reset.
Read more about Why Is My PS4 Controller Blinking Red?
How to Factory Reset PS4?
Alright, let’s get into the nitty-gritty of how to perform a Factory Reset. Whether you’re facing significant issues or want to start afresh, follow these steps to make it happen.
Step 1: Open Main Screen
Open the main screen of PS4. Ensure you’re on the main screen where all your game icons and apps hang out. If you’re stuck in a game or app, hit that PS button on your controller to return to this main screen.
Step 2: Open PlayStation Network/Account Management
Now, look for the “PlayStation Network” or “PSN” icon at the tip-top of the main screen. Use your controller to move over it and tap that “X” button to select it. If it gives you the eye, sign in to your PSN account using your details.
Step 3: Activate as your Primary PS4
Once in the PlayStation Network area, find “Account Management.” It might be a separate icon or hidden in the settings menu – you’ll know when you see it. Click on it with that trusty “X” button of yours. Inside there, hit up “Activate as Your Primary PS4.”
Step 4: Restart your PS4
Now that your PS4 is chosen head over to the power options. Long-press the PS button on your controller to call up the Quick Menu. Slide to “Power,” dive in, and select “Restart PS4.” When it double-checks with you, say, “Yup!”
Step 5: Initialize PS4
After the restart, you’ll be asked to plug in your controller using a USB cable. Do that and press the PS button on it like a champ. Like a secret club for console wizards, you’ll be whisked away to the Safe Mode menu.
Step 6: Choose Initialization Method
The “Quick” option gives your system software a makeover. While the “Full” option sends your PS4 back to square one, erasing everything on it. If you’re going for the full reset, remember to save your important stuff before you take the plunge. Once you’re set, pick your poison and confirm it. Then, sit back – this might take a bit.
- Remember, a Factory Reset wipes everything clean, so backup what you hold dear.
- This is a go-to move for troubleshooting or getting your PS4 ready for a new home.
- If you’re dealing with software shenanigans, consider rebuilding your PS4’s database. You can do so from the Safe Mode menu before going all-in on the Factory Reset.
Read more about Where Can I Buy Pink PS4 Gaming Headset?
How to Factory Reset PS4 without Controller?
So you’re in a situation where your PS4 controller isn’t working or you can’t find it. But you need to do a factory reset on your PS4. No worries, we’ve got you covered! Even without a controller, you can still perform a factory reset. Let’s dive into these methods:
Method 1: Connect an External Keyboard
First up, we have the trusty external USB keyboard method. Here’s how you can get it done:
- Shut Down the PS4: Make sure your PS4 is turned off completely before you begin.
- Plug in the Keyboard: Hook up the USB end of your external keyboard into one of the USB ports on your PS4.
- Turn On the PS4: Press that power button on your PS4 to fire it up.
- Navigate to Settings: Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to get to the “Settings” option on your PS4’s main screen.
- Find Initialization: Inside the “Settings” menu, look for the “Initialization” option. This is where the magic happens.
- Select Initialize PS4: Click on “Initialize PS4”. Get ready to start the factory reset process.
- Follow the On-Screen Prompts: Your PS4 will guide you through the reset step by step. Just follow what it says.
- Confirm the Reset: When prompted, give the thumbs-up to confirm the factory reset. Your PS4 will now erase data and restore itself to the default settings.
Method 2: Connect an External Mouse
If you’ve got an external USB mouse lying around, you can put it to work for this task. Here’s the lowdown:
- Power Off the PS4: Make sure your PS4 is completely powered off.
- Hook Up the Mouse: Plug the USB end of your external mouse into one of the PS4’s USB ports.
- Turn On the PS4: Press the power button and let your PS4 come to life.
- Navigate to Settings: Give that mouse a click on the “Settings” option from your PS4’s home screen.
- Access Initialization: Inside the “Settings” menu, look for the “Initialization” option again.
- Click Initialize PS4: Click “Initialize PS4” to kickstart the factory reset process.
- Follow the On-Screen Steps: Like before, your PS4 will guide you step by step. Follow those virtual breadcrumbs.
- Confirm the Reset: When the moment arrives, confirm that you’re all in for the factory reset. Your PS4 will roll its sleeves and start wiping data and resetting everything.
Method 3: Use PS4 Application
Guess what? Sony has your back with a handy mobile app that lets you control your PS4. If you’ve got this app set up, you’re good to go:
- Start the Factory Reset: Inside “Initialization,” tap on “Initialize PS4”. Watch the reset wheels start turning.
- Follow the App’s Lead: The app will give you the lowdown on what to do next. Read and do as it says.
- Confirm the Reset: When the big question comes up, confirming the reset is your next move. The PS4 will then begin clearing data and setting things back to default.
Read more about Does PS4 Controller Have Mic?
Method 4: Use Bluetooth Device
You should know the answer to “how to reset ps4 without controller?” You’re in luck if your PS4 is already friends with a Bluetooth device like a headset or keyboard. You can use it to get things done without a physical controller:
- Get Your Bluetooth Device Ready: Ensure your Bluetooth device is paired with your PS4.
- Power Up the PS4: Turn on the PS4 using your Bluetooth device.
- Find Your Way to Settings: Use the controls on your Bluetooth device. Navigate to the “Settings” option on your PS4’s home screen.
- Seek Out Initialization: Inside “Settings,” find the “Initialization” option on the menu.
- Pick Initialize PS4: Choose “Initialize PS4” to start the factory reset process.
- Stick with the Program: Follow the on-screen instructions provided by the PS4. They’ll show you the ropes.
- Give the Green Light: When the moment of truth arrives, confirm that you’re ready for the rest ride. Your PS4 will then start wiping data and restoring the status quo. Now you know, how to reset ps4 without controller?
FAQs about how to reset PS4 without controller
Does the PS4 have a rest button?
No, the PS4 doesn’t sport a reset button like some gadgets. To reset it, you usually do a soft reset by turning it off, then back on, or go for a factory reset in the settings.
How do you reset a frozen PS4?
Hold that power button for about 7 seconds until it beeps twice. That’ll shut it down. Then, just fire it up again.
Why is my PS4 not responding?
A bunch of stuff could be up, like crashes or tech hiccups. Give it a kick start by holding the power button down. If no dice, dive into some troubleshooting or grab tech help.
Final Words on How To Reset PS4 Without Controller
No controller, no problem! When your trusty PS4 controller gives you trouble, these alternative methods rescue you. Remember, a factory reset wipes out all your data, so back up anything important before diving in. We hope now you know how to reset ps4 without controller.
If you use an external keyboard, mouse, the PS4 app, or a Bluetooth device, the techniques let you reset your PS4. Follow the guide closely, and you’ll have your PS4 reset and running smoothly again.